Monday, June 14, 2010

World Cup Fever

That's right, our house has been hit by a serious case of World Cup fever! We just can't get enough of it in our household! Needless to say we were very excited about Sunday's England v. USA match! The only problem is we were torn on who to cheer for. See, the World Cup holds a special place in our hearts. Four years ago we traveled to Berlin with my dad and brother for a little World Cup action and some sight seeing. Den was a brave man to travel with the two other men in my life! ;) And he used that trip to ask my father for my hand in marriage. (There were Cuban cigars, cognac, wine and a REALLY long conversation involved.) In the end I think all turned out pretty well!

We loved Berlin! It's an amazing city with so much history and things to see. We traveled around easily to see WWII sites, Den's favorite! And we got to take in a live World Cup match! Mind you, we'd tried to get tickets to US or England matches, but ended up with Tunisia and someone who slips my mind at the moment. None of that mattered though inside the stadium. We watched the match at the Olympiad Stadium in Berlin were Hitler had watched the Olympics. (Most notably Jesse Owens winning gold!) It was truly an amazing experience. The history and the energy of the game could not be matched!



I've always followed English soccer so we spent a lot of our time cheering for England as they never played the US. We had English flags, hats, you name it! I knew all the players names, which sadly I couldn't say the same for the US team. Guess I'd better think twice now that I'm a military wife!

Needless to say, watching the game on Sunday was bittersweet. I found myself cheering for both sides, which probably drove the hubby nuts! We got a good kick out of the fact that we might be the only people on base cheering for England. And in the end, the result was a draw so I guess both our teams came out ok. It will be nice going forward to be able to cheer for both teams without them competing against each other. If they both win, then they'll both move on to the next round, but chances are only one of them might. I guess only time will tell. Until then, we have the DVR set for random matches so Den doesn't miss anything while he's at work and I watch the Cup about three times a day! (Unless we're recording it since I know it will be played again!) Yes, we are crazy Americans obsessed with football! (The kind you play with your foot! ;) ) Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers